Sunday, September 18, 2011

Many Observations of a father...

This weekend was the first weekend that Rachel worked two nights (last night and tonight), AND the first time that I (daddy) have had all three children alone for an extended period of time. Even though Rachel was here today sleeping, I have pretty much been in charge of all three since around 5:45 PM yesterday (except for when Rach took care of Reiter while I was at church this morning with the girls...and she got up to feed him at 4:00).

Based on the events of this weekend, I have to say (or rather admit) that at times I take what Rachel does to keep this family afloat for granted. It has been probably the hardest two day stretch I have ever experienced as a father. It blows away Sofia's all-nighter of 2010 (which Rachel left work around 5 AM to rescue me from I might add).

My patience has been pushed to the utmost limit. Several times I have just had to lay down a crying Reiter and walk away...or let him scream his head off while attending to pajamas and bedtimes for the girls. It has been full blown survival mode for the past 30 hours or so. And it hasn't just been Reiter's fault. The girls know exactly when to push buttons...its like some innate gift they have.

In the midst of this, I have also gained a brand new appreciation for single mothers. The past 30 hours are not representative of the majority of 30 hour stretches I spend with my family. I do not know how single moms can do this 24/7.

I also, do not know how Rachel handles this when I am gone 2 or 3 days at a time to Louisville.

Thanks Rachel for all that you do around here.

No comments: