Tuesday, June 18, 2013

how do you do it?

"HOW DO YOU DO IT?" Kevin and I both get this question ALL the time. How do we take 4 kids this little out of the house? How do we make it to church? How do we afford them? How do we have time for each other? How do we stay sane? How do we do it? I want to clarify, we don't do it. It is by nothing but Gods grace that we can parent these little blessings and still love each other successfully. There are moments when I want to pull all my hair out because I am nursing Fischer, the girls are fighting and Reiter is bound and determined to destroy everything he touches. There are moments Kevin is overwhelmed because he has worked a full day only to come home to an exhausted wife, screaming baby, no dinner, and no chance of a moment to himself. Those bad moments are part of life. It is what you do with those moments. If every time I felt that frustration, or feeling of inadequacy bubble up inside of me I lost it, well my kids would not like me much, to be honest I would not like me much. If every time Kevin came home to all the madness that is our beautiful chaotic life he yelled, He wouldn't be greeted with kids who adore him and cant get on his lap fast enough. Having a "big" family is not easy. But it was our choice. Our decision. Our chaos. We LOVE having 4 kids. We love taking them camping. We love watching movies piled on the living room floor all cuddled in blankets and pillow pets. We love watching them learn and grow. We love having 4 kids. I do not love dishes, laundry, diapers, grocery shopping, chauffeuring and everything else that comes with 4 kids. But I love them, and serving them shows them how to serve. Kevin doesn't love E R bills because of stitches, or the massive dirty diaper he is greeted with every morning from the Reiter, He doesn't love spending 2 hours setting up camp for us to only stay 1 night. BUT he loves his kids, loves the "daddy" squeeled by the stinky little boy, loves the smiles that comes with smores and excitement to sleep in a tent with their dad, so he serves us. We work hard for our time together. We are constantly showing one another grace. We get mad and frustrated and them remember our blessings and apologize. We pray hard for our children and for our marriage. We DONT DO IT.... God gives us strength to keep this home afloat. To him be the glory.

No comments: