Friday, October 17, 2008

Over reacting!


For the last few days Av has suffered from her first runny nose and cough... I have tried to chalk it up to a cold and just comfort her through it and suction out her snotty nose a lot (the joys of motherhood). Well last night she had a hard time... our normally happy little girl was SCREAMING AND SCREAMING AND SCREAMING, she would not nurse and would not let us rock her... all our efforts to comfort her, failed. We finally tried laying her down which resulted in more SCREAMING. After about forty minutes we took her temperature and it was slightly elevated, I gave her some Tylenol she finally nursed, laid down and went to sleep.
Well last night gave me and Kev a little scare, so we called the doctor first thing this morning, and although she seemed to be feeling better and was not running a fever I took her in. Well after a brief appointment with the doctor I felt DUMB (LoL) he took her temp, looked at her ears and throat and said "Well Mrs. Yates, she has a cold"... I guess we all have to over react at some point!
Well in light of last night I decided to stand my ground, "bed time is bed time" I said to myself... "and no matter what I will not get her back up!" Well that lasted through about twenty minutes of awful screaming... well once again I felt DUMB because when I picked her up she let out a HUGE burp...sorry Av mama's still learning!
I love being a mommy, it is the thrill of a life time... but I will tell you what you learn something new EVERY day!

3 comments:

Kylie Turner said...

I totally do the same thing with Will but I will tell you to trust your instinct no matter how "dumb" they make you feel. One time they told me it was a virus/cold and go back home and treat the symptoms..well 2 days later his fever was 103 and he was wheezing. I took him again and it was early pneumonia!! No body knows your baby like you do..not even a doctor or nurse !! As far as a cold goes, try using some vicks vapor rub on her chest at night before bed and that will open her nose/chest allowing her to breathe better. Also motrin tends to work better on fevers than tylenol. You can use a vaporizer or those vicks plug ins which will make the whole room smell like menthol...We would strap Will in his car seat to sleep at night when he couldn't breathe ...he would fuss for a bit but finally settle down..just some thoughts!!

ITs tough on the days when our little ones are sick but they pass!! Praying for you tonight - KYLIE

KEVIN AND CHRISSY KNIGHT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KEVIN AND CHRISSY KNIGHT said...

We've all been there hun, ya'll will get through it! I hope little Averi starts feeling better soon! Hallie has a runny nose and cough too. We were up practically all night with her. She just wouldn't sleep! It's better to be safe then sorry with the doctor's visits. Most of the time it's nothing but you never know when it could actually be something! Ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers!