Friday, July 22, 2011

Reiter the stubborn baby boy

Well I don't know if Reiter is really that stubborn or I'm just impatient or if it is just a combination but there has been some serious frustrations the last few days! After going home from work last weekend sure labor was beginning we have been sitting here playing the waiting game, my body seems in no hurry to evict this boy and he seems totally content to hang out in-utero for the long haul!
I had an appointment yesterday with my AMAZING midwife Lauren, she said I am now four centimeters dilated (woohoo) so apparently the false alarm over the weekend did do some good since last week I was dilated to a 3. Rei seems healthy and strong which is always great to hear, but His head is not engaged which means he has not "dropped".
My midwife kindly scheduled my induction for next Friday morning at 9 am, after she stripped my membranes again (which hasn't done any good yet since today I am still very pregnant) I will go back for a check on Thursday and she will make one more effort to strip my membranes. PLEASE join us in praying for a few things concerning this little boy. 1. That he would come in the next week on his own. 2. if he doesn't that he will drop and his head will be engaged so that if we do indeed have to have an induction they will be able to break my water and I will not have to have a pitocin induction. The fear with breaking your water if babies head is not engaged is a prolapsed cord, meaning the cord could slip out which is VERY dangerous. My number one reason for having them break my water vs pitocin was to keep his birth as natural as possible and so that I would have more freedom to move around, use the tub for pain control ect...these things aren't options with pitocin. 3. That no matter how Reiter enters the world that he would enter it healthy and strong. 4. for my anxieties... I'm incredibly worn out just from worrying about his birth. Please pray that I would be constantly reminded that he is Gods child not mine and God is in control of his birth.
We are thrilled that the end is in sight, one more week (at the most) and we get to meet our 1st son!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey Rachel, I hope your baby boy can make his appearance soon so you don't have to be induced! I just wanted to share a few things about Silas' birth that you might want to think about or see if they are possibilities for you. Since Sy was a VBAC delivery, I was first induced with a balloon catheter overnight. Some women end up going into labor as the balloon catheter dilates you further. It is a natural means of induction - no medication. I didn't go into labor with the balloon catheter but did increase from 1 cm to 4 cm and was then started with pitocin. I, too, was planning a natural birth. I hadn't had a normal labor with Jonah, so I really don't know how labor would have felt, but laboring with pitocin really wasn't that terrible. I used the techniques that I learned in Bradley Method classes and did my best to relax. It did get painful and very intense during the transition stage of labor, but the pitocin had been stopped by that time. Also, while I was on pitocin, I was free to move as much as I wanted to. It was on a wheely stand so I pushed it wherever I wanted to go. I can't even tell you how many laps we did around the unit. I could have gotten into the tub if I had wanted to but chose not to. I think the concern with being on pit is monitoring the baby. We had wireless/waterproof external monitors so I wasn't confined by wires. Also, I asked to not have my water broken. From what we learned in Bradley Method classes, although it could speed up labor, having an intact bag of waters can reduce the pain you are feeling. My water didn't break until I was pushing!! And, it was only 5 1/2 hours from the time contractions started to Silas' delivery. Couldn't ask for anything better with what was really my first delivery since Jonah was a c-section! Also, my midwife said that I would be more restricted how much I was able to move if my waters were broken. Just some thoughts...I know midwives and hospitals are different, but just wanted to share what we experienced at Clark Memorial. Hope all goes well for you!