Friday, September 26, 2008

annoyed...

Life is always a fun busy in our home and today was NO exception! Most days I usually am caring for Averi and a little two yr old girl named Emma (who is a blessing to care for)...but three mornings a week I care for two sisters, Addison and Taylor (who are also a blessing)... Today is my longest day with the extra two kiddos watching them from seven thirty til twelve thirty. So I decided to head to the park with all four girls. We went nice and early so the park was almost empty... except for a lady with a WILD dog, the dog was not leashed and was running all over, jumping on me and the kids, and believe me, he was NOT a small dog. I held my tongue and watched my attitude as this lady virtually ignored her unruly dog as I played with the girls. Well, Emma tripped over her feet and fell, not a bad fall just a two year old stumble... she kindve whimpered but after a little encouragement jumped right back up and was ready to go! I thought nothing of it until this lady who can not even control her own dog says "well that's what happens when you have more children then you can handle, they get hurt." This lady assumed all of these children were mine and had they been I would have been VERY hurt by her comment... Man oh Man did God have to grant me a little grace because the comment had me rather upset! We left the park and headed home... I had almost forgot the whole situation UNTIL...
After my two extra kiddos headed home I gained two more in their place, my mom and dad are babysitting my nephew and asked if I could watch him for a few hours, which I was up for! I also have to work this weekend so I chose today to spend some time with my God daughter Alayna. So back up to four kiddos I headed off to Target. As I was unloading the kids (Averi was in her snugly carrier, Emma and Corbin in the cart and Alayna walking with me) a lady was waiting to park... she was watching the whole time, I didn't pay much attention to her...UNTIl I get inside and walk past her (all four children were behaving, and being quiet) she says to me " wow you have your hands full" which I smiled to and said "Sure do!" then she says "I do not understand why anyone would do that to themselves, or their children... so many so close together"! I almost died! Once again someone assumed that these were all my kids and made a hurtful and judgemental comment!
I know PLENTY of people have large families, and PLENTY of families who have those children close together and I can only pray to be half the wife and mother they are! If you ask me NO ONE has ANY business telling ANYONE how many children to have, children are a blessing straight from God and their lives should be REJOICED. I was proud of myself for keeping my mouth shut but I will admit it was HARD, I had no idea people could be so rude!

How can you look at these faces and think anything except for "what beautiful blessings?"




4 comments:

bcl said...

WOW! I can't believe how rude people can be! Kudos on biting your tongue, it would be hard for me to do too-I'd probably have a pretty bloody tongue by the end of the day :). People used to give me weird looks when I would keep my friend's son for her, like I was the typical teen mother. lol...I didn't care really, but it does get to you sometimes. Why can't people just not assume the worst?!

Jessi said...

Oh, wow. I can't believe someone said that! About the dog, you could fill out something online because there is a leash law. And if I were one of those advice columnists I would say that next time someone says something that rude and assuming, you might politely reply that you are a nanny and would be glad to give her your contact info if she would require your services!
I'm not sure if I would keep my composure in that kind of situation. That's something God and I are working on. Me controlling my mouth. ^_^

Amy said...

You go, girl. Are we a country who embraces LIFE--or not?
Great post!
Amy

The Murphys said...

How in the world did you hold your tongue? Oh wow that is just awful!!
Good for you for not going off, I'm not sure I would have been able to :)