Saturday, May 9, 2009

stormy weekend

My mom, av and I headed out of town last night to go see my Nana and Papa (they are actually my aunt and uncle, moms sis, but my whole family has always called them Nana and Papa, and they really are like second grand parents to me!) in Jackson Ky. I know people often say they are "from the country" and I'm sure they are but Jackson is truly the country... Kevin was shocked by how "backwards" it is the first time I took him there. I love it tho as I truly feel it is home! My Nana and Papas farm is in the back of a "holler" (hollow)- Liitles Creek rd... the road you drive leading to it are literally two lane windy roads cut out of the Appalachian mountains- one side is mountain the other is the Ky river. There is one walmart, a hardees and Mcdonalds and that is pretty much it, oh and two maybe three stop lights- I love it!
The only thing that is unfortunate about Jackson is when bad weather hits it can take weeks even months for the roads to clear. Well last night it STORMED AND STORMED AND STORMED. Mom and U drove three hours to get to their house with a screaming averi (she is not a good traveler at all!) and got about 3 miles from their house when we ran into a line of stopped vehicles, part of the mountain had fallen into the road and we could not get through for that last three miles to see Nana and Papa!!! We turned around and headed into town and stayed at one of the two motels (the Jackson Inn) called Nana and Papa who were hopeful Papa could come get us in the morning and bring us in a different way. Averi got up at 5 am so so did Mom and I, we laid around the hotel got McDonald's and at about 6 30 Av went back down for a nap. I went back to sleep while Mom tried to reach Nana- unfortunately all the phone lines were down! We decided to go ahead and try to get in a back way mom knew, we didn't get far it to was blocked. We went back the main way and it was blocked worse then the night before! So we had no choice we headed back to Louisville!
What can I say when this kindve stuff happens you just have to laugh it off. Mom and I enjoyed the car ride chatting and singing silly songs to keep Av happy... and at least it is a good memory! Av did WONDERFULLY on the car ride back, I could not be more proud and we got home in plenty of time for her to take a second nap and for mommy to catch a nap! Hopefully we can work it out to go again soon and maybe Kev can get off work and go with us... Mom and I are just happy we didn't get stuck in the holler because it could be a week or more before those roads are clear to drive out off, I've never gone a week without my boy and certainly did not pack enough diapers, I would have been a hot mess!

This pic is in honor of my sweet girl who hates to be in the car and did so good on the way home! Way to go Av!

2 comments:

Adam Holly Grace said...

That is great that she did so good on the way home! That is why I said I can't imagine.. (on facebook) because Grace does NOT tolerate the car well either. Road trips are ROUGH on her and it is like pulling teeth to try to keep her satisfied.. So I genuinely feel for you!:)

H

Brooke and Brian said...

Sounds like you have a good story to tell at least! Bummer you couldnt make it the whole way though :(